Monday, January 1, 2007

2007 : Where have you been all my life?

Before I eulogize 2006 and extol the new year, I have to share a little about my New Year's weekend with my other family members. A good portion of my mother's side of the family descended on the Boston area for the holidays, and my mom, a friend of mine and I joined them for New Years'. I have a family that tends to gravitate towards kitchens when we're all together, so the weekend was filled with excessive amounts of incredible food, dancing in my aunt's kitchen and so much laughter my sides still hurt. I honestly can't remember ever having such a wonderful time with my own relatives. Between all the cooking and storytelling, I got to watch my mom be the happiest I've seen her since before we lost my dad. What a great weekend.

So 2006... wow. Yeah, that about sums it up. Next?

But really, I have to say I'm quite excited about the new year. If the last 23 hours and 42 minutes are any indication of what the next 364 days are going to be like, holy cow. I even had a great time recovering from our New Year's debauchery - naps punctuated by Papa John's and 8 hours of mindless television headlined by the Wedding Crashers and Garden State have an amazing way of rounding out a day. That may have been the most pleasant hangover experience I've ever had in my life, even with the it's-so-early-in-the-morning-I-might-still-be-intoxicated-car-ride-to-the-airport-beside-my-mother-in-the-back-seat-of-my-aunt's-Montero factored in. If everything works out right, I might even recover from the ridiculous party bus experience and be able to hear out of my right ear again by spring.

About this time last year, I was busy overanalyzing Dave Matthews songs. I have since reformed, and while Dave will always have a special place in my heart and I'm still willing to bear his love children, I've decided to start overanalyzing Corinne Bailey Rae instead. Much happier music, much easier to dance to. I have so many things to be thankful for in my life and so many exciting things in store for me this year that the thought of wishing my days away horrifies me. It's a really great feeling to be so excited about the here and now - I guess I just needed to let loose a little.

Happy New Year!!!!

No comments: